Teeth Lesson - Easy Tips for Healthy Teeth
STANDARD - 2.1
GRADE - 6GOAL
- From this teeth lesson the students will learn seven parts of the tooth and ways to have healthy teeth.
- Name seven parts of the tooth
- Understand the importance of having healthy teeth and what it does for your every day life
- Describe healthy behaviors to promote healthy teeth
LEARNING TASKS - Begin your lesson with DO NOW question on the board. "How does your teeth help you?"
Here are some key ideas that you should hear from your students -
- It helps you chew food
- It helps you talk
- It gives shape to your face
- It gives you a nice smile
- It allows you to whistle
Tremendous work! Let's keep going.
Continue with presenting words to know for this teeth lesson -
- Plaque - is a sticky film created by bacteria
- Tartar - plaque that is not removed will turn in to hard material
- Cavity - is a hole in the tooth
- Fluoride - a substance that fights tooth decay
At this time you can call out on the student and make sure that they understand these words.
As I mentioned before - you will be presenting this lesson with old fashion technique by using overhead projector.
I will provide you with two fill in worksheets and their answers key. Use these worksheet to copy on the transparency film.
Worksheet 1 -
Tooth structure fill in worksheet and answers key
Worksheet 2 -
Tooth decay fill in worksheet and answers key
Worksheet 3 -
Teeth lesson questions worksheet
Display picture of the tooth.
Discuss seven parts of the tooth -
- Crown - is the part of the tooth that you can see in your mouth
- Neck - is the area between the crown and the root
- Root - it anchors the tooth in your gum
- Enamel - it covers the crown of the tooth
- Dentin - the material that surrounds the pulp
- Pulp - is the area containing nerves and blood vessels
- Root canal - is the path for nerves and blood vessels
At this time - have your students complete parts of the tooth worksheet independently. Review it with them.
Display three stages of tooth decay -
- Plaque combines with sugar to form an acid
- Acid causes cavity
- When the cavity reaches the pulp - you get a toothache
Let your students complete the empty blank of tooth decay worksheet and make sure that they are correct.
Ask your students - What harms the teeth? It's food and bacteria - and if proper steps are not taken - it will lead to tooth decay.
So - what can you do to avoid tooth decay?
- Regular brushing - it will remove plaque from your teeth and your mouth
- Flossing - it will remove hard to reach food between your teeth
- Eating right - nutritious food will keep your inner part of the tooth healthy
- Visiting the dentist - in case any cavities appear despite careful brushing and flossing - the dentist will fill them in
- What are seven parts of the tooth? What do teeth do for you? Describe three stages of tooth decay? Describe four ways to keep your teeth healthy?
Leave teeth lesson and go Home