Healthy Eye Lesson - Important Lifestyle to Have Healthy Ears
STANDARD - 2.1
GRADE - 6GOAL
- In this eye lesson the students will learn about healthy habits to have healthy eyes and healthy ears.
- Name four ways to take care for your eyes
- Describe one important way to take care for your ears
- Identify ways of correcting vision problems
LEARNING TASKS - Begin your lesson with DO NOW question on the board. "Describe ways your eyes help you understand the environment around you?"
Here are some ideas that you have to look for from your students -
- Recognize friends
- Read books
- Hear people
- Listen to favorite music
Before I begin - here is the power point presentation about eye lesson.
Eye lesson presentation
When you are ready to begin the presentation - distribute the worksheet related to the presentation so that the students can follow along with presentation and answer questions.
Healthy eyes and healthy ears worksheet
At this time continue your lesson with some of the problems that people might have with their vision -
- Nearsighted - you can see near objects - but distant objects appear blurry
- Farsighted - you can see far object clearly - but closer object appear blurry
- Astigmatism - the shape of your cornea or lens causes person’s vision blurry
As you go through the presentation - make sure that you are answering questions from the worksheet. Keep up!
Now let's break down the eye in to its parts -
- Optic – the nerve that carries messages to the brain
- Sclera – the covering that protects the eye from the inside
- Cornea – it lets the light in
- Iris – it gives color to the eye
- Pupil – controls amount of light going in to the eye
- Lens – focuses the image
- Retina – it changes light rays into images that your eyes can see
Remember - answer the questions from the worksheet together with your students. Write down the answers on the board or in microsoft word if you have computer screen displayed on the big screen.
Before your students have any problems with their eyes - teach them how to care for them so your students can prevent eye problems -
- Protect your eyes from eyestrain - read in well-lighted room
- Protect your eyes from injury - use protective gear for eyes
- Protect your eyes from infection - do not rub your eyes
- Get regular checkups - visit optometrist on the yearly bases
Here are possible solutions for vision problems -
- Contact lenses
- Laser surgery
You took care of healthy eyes topic - now - move on to on healthy ears.
Start off with words to know for this topic -
- Sound waves- are vibrations or movement in the air
- Decibels- the measurement of loudness of sound waves
Continue on with basic parts of the ear -
- Outer ear – it collects the sound waves
- Middle ear – sound waves vibrate the ear drum and sends vibrations to cochlea
- Inner ear – cochlea sends messages to the brain for interpretation
Hearing is very important and is too valueble to loose - so - take a good care of it.
The most important way of protecting your ears - is to avoid loud noises.
If you don't - here is what you are going to get -
- The most common ear problem are infections of the middle ear
- The most serious problems are hearing loss and deafness
- A total hearing loss can result from ear injury - disease - or birth defects
Be sure that your students completed the worksheet.
It's time to review!CONCLUSION
Summarize ways to care for your eyes and ears. What are two vision problems? What are hearing problems? How vision problems can be corrected?
Leave eye lesson and go Home